- 1 Cup sorghum flour (also called jowar flour)
- 1 Cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1/2 Cup hazelnut flour or almond flour
- 1 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Spectrum Organic Shortening or vegan margarine
- 1/4 Cup unsulphured molasses
- 4 Tbsp coconut milk (or non-dairy milk)
- A large baking sheet. An Exopat or Silpat. Plastic wrap. A rolling pin. Cookie cutters.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a whisk attachment or pastry cutter to cut in the shortening and molasses. The mixture will be sandy and crumbly.
- Add the coconut milk one tablespoon at a time.
- Mix after each spoonful to keep a close eye on the consistency. You don’t want the dough too sticky. It should still appear somewhat crumbly- but- when you pinch the dough it should stick together and feel like cookie dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge to chill while you work with the other half. Split the half dough ball in two.
- Place the Exopat liner on the counter. Put the dough in the center, and using your palms, lightly press the dough into a flattish round shape.
- Note: If the dough feels warm or very soft you may need to chill it before working with it. If it feels sturdy and pliable, proceed.
- Cut a swath of plastic wrap the size of the Exopat and lay it on top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll out the cookie dough evenly. The plastic wrap makes this super easy. When the dough is evenly 1/4 inch thick, pull off the plastic and save it for the next batch.
- Use cookie cutters or juice glasses to cut shapes into the dough- not too close together. Do not move the shapes you cut. You are just cutting the dough.
- Carefully pull away the pieces of dough surrounding the cookie shapes, leaving the cookie shape itself on the Exopat. Place the baking sheet next to the Exopat liner and gently move the liner with cookies onto the baking sheet.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.