Sometimes you’re challenged by nonbelievers. When that happens, it’s best to prove them wrong. Dead wrong.
Whilst watching TV the challenge to make a tasty vegetarian meal was proposed.
Before I moved in, Mr Jehancancook would frequent a vegetarian restaurant a few blocks away from where we currently live. He’s never been back since I’ve moved in despite raving about the food.
He no longer has to buy food since he now has a personal chef…me. I was curious as to why he would frequent a vegetarian restaurant since he always objects to the idea of me cooking a meatless meal. This was his response … well partial response “because you can’t cook …”
I said “what????” Are you implying that I cannot make tasty vegetarian food?! I must admit I was a bit insulted, but I was also determined to prove him wrong. The next day I picked up a block of tofu and a few other ingredients from the farmers market.
I even opted to make my own coconut milk instead of using canned; I find that the fresh tastes better. Don’t get me wrong … I use canned on a regular basis because it saves on time. I just wanted to make sure to use quality ingredients to get the best tasting food possible.
I settled on pumpkin cooked with coconut milk and crispy tofu. He ate it all! For two days he ate a plate of pumpkin and a big ol’ bowl of crow.
- 3 oz package of firm tofu
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 heaping spoonful flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cups pumpkin, chopped
- 2 cups fresh or 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 wiri pepper (u can use red pepper flakes also)
- 2 scallion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 minutes.
- Remove tofu from liquid. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a Ziploc bag place flour, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Add tofu cubes to Ziploc and shake, coating the tofu evenly.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil on a medium fire.
- Add tofu to oil and fry, turn frequently making sure all of the sides are brown.
- Remove from heat and place on paper towel to drain.
- Heat coconut oil over medium fire.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for about 20 seconds.
- Add pumpkin, coconut milk, thyme, pepper, ginger, sugar.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add salt, adjust to your taste.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from fire, garnish with scallion.
- Serve with Crispy Tofu.
So, do you just simply cut the pumpkin into cubes and cook? How much coconut milk do you use and how do you season it? And how long do you cook it? I’ve never made pumpkin as a part of a dish before.
Sooooo where is the rest of the recipe? How do u cook the pumpkin????
Your dish looks delicious. Pumpkin with fresh coconut milk? Are you serious? LOL! I agree with you, canned coconut milk is time-saver for me but sometimes I find time to use fresh as well.
Trying this as soon as Sandy leaves, and I can go to the supermarket!