Some pre-packaged foods that don’t seem to contain animal products, such as meat or dairy, in fact contain ingredients coming from animals. For this reason, it is recommended that if you choose the vegan lifestyle, you make as many recipes from scratch as possible, so you control what ingredients are used.
- Cake Mix – It has been found that some powdered cake mix boxes contain some beef fat in order to add to the taste and longevity of the product. Most Hostess products including Twinkies, also contain some beef fat.
- Refried Beans – If you aren’t making your own refried beans with vegan fat choices like oil, then you may be at risk of consuming non-vegan refried beans. Many restaurants will make their refried beans with beef lard, as well as some canned refried beans.
- Margarine – Vegans often choose margarine over butter since it is not made from dairy products, but that doesn’t make it vegan. In fact most margarine varieties contain whey, gelatin and casein, which is a milk protein.
- Salted Peanuts – Some brands of packaged salted or roasted peanuts also contain some meat byproducts, including Planter’s Dry Roasted Peanuts which have gelatin.
- White Sugar – Though this fact isn’t surprising to all vegans, some have not done sufficient research and will be shocked to learn than plain white sugar is not vegan. Most white sugar manufacturers process the sugar using bone char from animals.