Chocolate is what makes Valentine’s Day sweet and infinitely loved. When served with spices and nuts, it’s rich in antioxidants. Cinnamon and cardamom stimulate sexual desire. Chilies quicken the beating heart. The scent of vanilla increases sexual sensations. Nuts and seeds are rich in vitamin E, which is an important nutrient for maintaining the health of sexual organs.
Each bite of these bittersweet brownies is spicy because of the warming spices of ground cinnamon, cardamom, chipotle, cloves and a dash of cayenne pepper. Instant espresso increases the intensity of bittersweet chocolate. Palm sugar (or use dark brown sugar) provides a slight caramelize flavor. Lavishly garnish almond slices tossed with pumpkin, sesame and hemp seeds on top for a nutty crunch.
This spicy chocolate treat is love at first bite. They’re best served with aromatic vanilla ice cream. For Valentine’s Day, share them with beloved friends, family and a lover. After all, this treat is seductively healthy when enjoyed as an individual serving.
Chili Spicy and Nutty Brownies
- 1/2-cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4-cup palm or brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground chipotle
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground chili
- (Optional) A dash of cayenne pepper
- A dash of sea salt
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/3-cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. instant espresso
- 2 eggs; beaten
- Garnish: Mix 1/8-cup almond slices with 1/8-cup pumpkin, 2 tsp. sesame and 1 tsp. hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with foil and lightly grease with room temperature butter or safflower oil.
- Toss the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and sea salt together. Set aside.
- Bring to boil 1 to 2 cups of water in a small saucepan. Place a heatproof bowl over the boiling water. Melt chocolate, butter, vanilla and espresso together. Stir occasionally with a spatula until the chocolate and butter have completely melted. Be careful not to let the water come in contact with the chocolate. When the chocolate mix is smooth, remove the bowl from the saucepan.
- Mix in the spice flour mix into chocolate. The mix will resemble a thick paste. Whisk in the eggs until the brownie batter returns to a thick liquid.
- Pour brownie batter into the greased foil lined baking dish. Sprinkle the top with nuts and seeds.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center have few crumbs (It’s best to undercook brownies).
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove brownies from the baking dish and place on a wire rack to completely cool. Cut into 9 large or 16 small square servings.
- It’s best to let brownies cool completely, but they’ll quickly disappear.