Did you know potatoes have more potassium than bananas? Combining roast potatoes with a dark green vegetable, such as Spinach Mustard Greens, increases the nutritional value of this dish. Spinach Mustard Greens is an uncommon leafy vegetable; mostly found at farmer’s markets. They’re popular in Asian cuisines–such as Japanese, Chinese, and Indian cultures. The taste is a tad bitter with a peppery accent, for it’s similar to sauté turnip greens. However, these bitter greens paired with sweet roast potatoes and earthy Truffle oil creates a playful dish of rustic flavors. Use the truffle oil lightly, for a little goes a long way.
What’s your favorite vegetable pairing? Share your ideas with other Frugivore Magazine readers.
Truffle Oil Roast Potatoes and Spinach Mustard Greens
- 1/2 lb. baby red skin potatoes; cleaned and quartered
- 1 green garlic; thinly sliced or 1 to 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1-bunch of Spinach Mustard Greens; cleaned thoroughly (alternatively use baby dark greens, such as young spinach, collard greens, mustard or kale to name a few)
- A generous amount of olive oil
- 2 tsp. truffle oil; divided in half
- Sea salt, crushed red pepper, and fresh black pepper; to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleaning.
- Toss the potatoes, green garlic, 1 tsp. truffle oil, olive oil, salt, fresh black pepper, and crushed red pepper over the baking sheet. Place in the oven to roast until potatoes are soft and starting to brown for about 20 to 30 minutes. When the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over a medium to high temperature. When the oil is warm, add the garlic. After a few seconds, before the garlic turns brown, quickly add the greens. Season with salt, fresh black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- When the greens start to wilt, turn off the heat. Add the roast potatoes to the skillet.
- Drizzle with the last teaspoon of truffle oil and garnish with fresh black pepper.
As soon as I seen this recipe I had to try it. I added cabbage mixed with mustard green and also rosemary with the potatoes. It turned out delicious!
tried this today. used kale, white truffle flavored evoo, and added mushrooms. tasty. and i’ve never had kale before so this was really new to me.