It’s that time of the year when spring breeze starts to transition into summer heat. Yesterday, I arrived in Atlanta and thought the rapture had come between the heat wave that slapped me outside of baggage claim and the complementary humidity. Thanks, Hotlanta!
Regardless of where you’re located this season, take note of these 5 tips to combat dehydration. If you’re going to be in the heat, your body needs fluids to “keep it moving” throughout the day.
- Drink plenty of water or a rehydration drink (Gatorade, Powerade, etc.) before and after exercise.
- For children, encourage them to drink water, low sugar fluids, or even suck on popsicles.
- Do not drink anything with caffine. It increases urination and makes you dehydrate more quickly.
- Do not drink alcohol (no, really). It also increases dehydration.
- Stop working, playing, or exercising outdoors if you feel lightheaded, dizzy, or extremely tired.
Enjoy the heat safely and treat your body with extra care these next two seasons.
Share your tips for combating dehydration!