Have you been thinking of giving up wheat and gluten foods, but just can’t find alternative options for your favorite pastas or breads? If you’re like most people, you’ve probably been turned off from the seemingly un-palatable rice breads or pastas. Because these items are missing gluten, sometimes they can be stiff. But don’t be discouraged.
In most cases it’s really a question of how to work with the alternatives without compromising your taste-buds. Don’t panic, we’ll share with you how to work with these items so you can enjoy a wheat-less, gluten-less existence.
DO YOU HAVE A GLUTEN OR WHEAT INTOLERANCE?
Did you know you can be allergic to wheat and not to all gluten products? It can be difficult to tell the difference. Try giving up wheat first and only eat small amounts of other grains that contain gluten, such as spelt or kamut. If you have some of the same reactions as when you eat wheat, chances are you suffer from Celiac Disease and cannot tolerate any foods that contain gluten. Sometimes, if you over consume wheat, you can develop an allergy to the grain.
Celiac disease, or gluten intolerance is an autoimmune disease in which a person can’t tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley, kamut and other grains. Gluten shows up in bread and pasta, but may also hide in many other foods, such as processed meats, salad dressings, alcoholic beverages, and even processed vegan soy products. In women, gluten intolerance can cause headaches, menstrual cramps and repeated yeast infections. Children with Celiac Disease may break out in rashes or experience diarrhea after eating a meal with gluten.
- Wild Rice
BEST TASTING GLUTEN OR WHEAT FREE PRODUCTS
- Food For Life Gluten Wheat Free Brown Rice Bread – With few ingredients and preservatives, this bread is shockingly tasty. When purchasing, you’ll find the loaf to be extremely hard. Don’t let this stop you from purchasing it. Simply pan toast on low heat to soften. This is an excellent replacement for bread lovers who can’t begin to conceive of giving up soft wheat and flour breads.
Available at Whole Foods grocery store
- Pamela’s Cookies – Delicious, is the one word to describe these cookies. It’s unbelievable how tasty Pamela’s cookies are. What’s more, the brand also offers cake mixes and other gluten-free, wheat-free baked goods options as well. If you’re vegan, be sure to read the ingredients, as some of the cookies contain animal products.
- Food For Life Gluten Free Brown Rice Tortillas – Who ever thought you could satisfy your tortilla craving without the flour or corn? Try this brand of gluten/wheat-free tortillas and test for yourself. You can slow cook the tortilla in a shallow cooking pan or you can simply place on a grill. Either way, this product is sure give you what you’re looking for without the lard and flour, which regular commercial tortillas contain. Available at Whole Foods grocery store.
- Trader Joes Brown Rice Pasta – Being inexpensive, Trader Joes’ Brown Rice Pasta is easy to incorporate into all of your favorite pasta recipes. When working with this product, be mindful not to over cook, as the pasta will get soggy and extremely sticky.
Available at Trader Joe’s grocery store.
- Udis Gluten Free Products – Though not wheat-free nor a viable option for vegans, this brand makes soft breads and baked goods sans the gluten. Most of their options are made from whole grains. This is a good choice for someone just beginning to transition from eating gluten but still want to keep the wheat in their diet.
Available at Trader Joe’s