Almost everyone loves chinese food, the only problem is its filled with fat, and most often fried.
I hate greasy food but boy do I love Chinese. So what’s the simple solution? Make my own!
I made a simple Beef with Broccoli and Peppers, it’s Chinese food without the guilt. I have a few key notes on this recipe:
- Do not overcook the beef.
- Cut up all vegetables before you begin to cook.
- Do not overcook the vegetables.
Beef with Broccoli and Peppers
- 1 1/2 lb beef (I used flank steak)
- 2 in. knob ginger crushed
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 five spice powder
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 3 scallion, chopped
- 2 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- bell pepper strips
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut beef against the grain into strips.
- Place steak, crushed ginger, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, cornstarch, oyster sauce and 5 spice powder in a bowl, and mix. Set aside.
- It is best to cut up all the veggies in preparation for the cooking process. This stir-fry process is very quick!
- Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, water and red pepper flakes and set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp of sesame oil in a wok on a high fire.
- Add beef and stir fry for 5 mins, remove from wok.
- Add onions, broccoli, peppers, red pepper flakes and sauce.
- Cover and cook for 3 mins, add beef back to wok and cook for additional minute.
- Remove from heat and add scallions. Serve over hot cooked rice.