Kale and Seared Figs Salad
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale; thinly sliced (The directions for cutting kale is here)
- 1/8-cup olive oil; plus more as needed
- 2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- The juice of half a lemon
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper; as needed
- 1/2-cup roughly chopped walnuts; toasted
- 10 oz. figs; cut in half
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/8-cup white or rose wine or apple cider (if using apple cider, omit the honey)
- Garnish: Thinly shaved Parmesan cheese and warm bread slices
- In a large bowl, toss kale, 1/8-cup olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper and walnuts together. Set aside.
- In a large black skillet, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add figs, cut side down to the skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until faintly brown on the cut side, but don’t allow them to get too soft that they fall apart.
- Remove figs from skillet. Quickly whisk butter, honey and wine into the same skillet to make warm vinaigrette. When the liquid slightly reduces, lightly toss into the kale.
- To serve, place a serving of the kale onto individual plates. Place seared figs on top of the kale. Garnish with a few shaved slices of Parmesan cheese. Serve with warm bread.